After the conquest of the region by Fernando Magno (1035-1065), a core of settlers from Salamanca founded, on the hill where they erected a Bronze Age fortification, a town that in XII century saw at last recognized his “forums and customs “by Alfonso IX of Leon. It was not easy during the early years of the village.
Conquered and reconquered successively, ownership ranged from the kingdoms of León (Spain), Portugal and Islam until D. Dinis won in 1282, to integrate the dowry of the young Queen Isabella of Aragon.
On September 12th, 1297, it would be formally integrated into the kingdom of Portugal, through Alcañices Treaty. The Regional Code of laws granted by D. Dinis granted in November of the previous year, as well as the pacification of the border would earn the village a deserved prosperity, interrupted only during the frequent conflicts with Castile and Leon, from the late fourteenth century.
During the sixteenth century, Castelo Bom receives a new Regional Code of Laws (Foral Novo) from King Manuel I (1510), while its wall and castle are the subject of reforms to adapt the use of artillery.
As a defensive structure of the Beira border, it played an important role both during the Restoration War or in the Seven Years War and the Napoleonic wars, having been surrounded and taken several times. The destruction caused during the 3rd French invasion, anticipated the decline of the municipality and its extinction in 1834 and its integration into the municipality of Almeida.

Castle – Of the medieval castle, which showed an irregular shape, framing a donjon with barbican, there remain only a few sections of wall. After the destruction of the donjon in 1946, the most important sign is the “Porta da Vila”, protected by the foundations of a square tower.

Other sites of interest: Parish Church – Our Lady of the Assumption, Casa do Fidalgo, Well of the King, lookout on the River Côa.


tourguide

Clique nas imagens para ampliar

sifdebar_espaco

BOOK ROOM

Room 1
sifdebar_espaco
Portugal